Dr. Dexi Liu
Panoz Professor of Pharmacy
- Office: Pharmacy South, Rm 450 Athens, GA 30602USA
- Voice: 706-542-7385
- Email: email@example.com
Ph.D. Biochemistry, University of Tennessee 1990
B.S. Biochemistry and Microbiology, Lanzhou University, Lanzhou, PR China 1982
Dr. Liu’s laboratory currently focuses on the following projects:
- Understanding the mechanism of hydrodynamic gene delivery and its applications to gene therapy [Background Information: Suda T and Liu D, Hydrodynamic gene delivery: its principles and applications. Mol. The. 15:2063-2069 (2008)]
- Establishing image-guided and tissue specific hydrodynamic gene delivery for gene therapy of hemophilia [Background Information: Suda T et al., Computer-assisted hydrodynamic gene delivery, Mol. The. 16:1098-1104 (2008); Kamimura K et al., Image guided, lobe-specific hydrodynamic gene delivery to swine liver. Mol. Ther. 17:491-499 (2009)]
- Understanding the mechanism of hydrodynamics-based procedure for cell delivery and its applications in cancer and cell-based therapy [Background Information: Li J, Yao Q and Liu D, Hydrodynamic Cell Delivery for Simultaneous Establishment of Tumor Growth in Mouse Lung, Liver and Kidney. Cancer Biology and Therapy 12:1-5 (2011)]
- Elucidating mechanisms of high fat diet-induced obesity, diabetes, and cardiovascular diseases and developing new strategies for treatment and prevention of obesity derived diseases
Dr. Liu’s group does a substantial amount of molecular biology, cell biology, physiology, immunology and cancer biology. His lab uses molecular approaches in experiments to devise cures for various diseases in animal models.
- National Institute of Biomedical Imaging and Bioengineering
- National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute
- Molecular Therapy, Editorial Advisory Board
- AAPS Journal, Associate Editor
- Outstanding Scholarly Contribution Award, Rho Chi Society, University of Pittsburgh School of Pharmacy, 2010
- Distinguished Lecturship, Nagai Foundation, Tokyo, 2009
- Professor Fellowship, Japanese Society of Promotion of Science, 2007
Mingming Gao, Chunbo Zhang, Yongjie Ma, Le Bu, Linna Yan and Dexi Liu (2013) Hydrodynamic Delivery of mIL10 Gene Protects Mice from High Fat Diet-induced Obesity and Glucose Intolerance. Mol Ther 21:1852-1861.
Le Bu, Mingming Gao, Shen Qu, Dexi Liu (2013) Intraperitoneal Injection of Clodronate Liposomes Eliminates Visceral Adipose Macrophages and Blocks High-fat Diet-induced Weight Gain and Development of Insulin Resistance. AAPS J 15:1001-1011.
Mingming Gao, Yongjie Ma and Dexi Liu (2013) Rutin Suppresses Palmitic Acids-triggered Inflammation in Macrophages and Blocks High Fat Diet-induced Obesity and Fatty Liver in Mice. Pharm Res, 30:2940-2950.
Mingming Gao, Le Bu, Yongjie Ma, and Dexi Liu (2013) Concurrent Activation of Liver X Receptor and Peroxisome Proliferator-activated Receptor Alpha Exacerbates Hepatic Steatosis in High Fat Diet-induced Obese Mice. PLoS ONE 8(6): e65641.doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0065641
Mingming Gao and Dexi Liu (2013) The Liver X Receptor Agonist T0901317 Protects Mice from High Fat Diet Induced Obesity and Insulin Resistance. AAPS J 15:258-266.
Mingming Gao and Dexi Liu (2013) Resveratrol Suppresses T0901317-induced Hepatic Fat Accumulation in Mice. AAPS J 15:744-752.
Yongjie Ma, Yixian Huang, Linna Yan, Mingming Gao and Dexi Liu (2013) Synthetic FXR Agonist GW4064 Prevents Diet-induced Hepatic Steatosis and Insulin Resistance. Pharm Res 30:1447-1457.
Yongjie Ma and Dexi Liu (2013) Hydrodynamic Delivery of Adiponectin and Adiponectin Receptor 2 Gene Blocks High-fat Diet-induced Obesity and Insulin Resistance. Gene Ther 20:846-852.
Kenya Kamimura, Takeshi Suda, Yutaka Aoyagi and Dexi Liu (2013) Liver-directed Gene Therapy. JSM Gastroenterology and Hepatology 1(1): 1005.
Takeshi Yokoo, Kenya Kamimura, Takeshi Suda, Tsutomu Kanefuji, M asafumi Oda, Guisheng Zhang, Dexi Liu and Yutaka Aoyagi (2013) Novel Electric Power-driven Hydrodynamic Injection System for Gene Delivery: Safety and Efficacy of Human Factor IX Delivery in Rats. Gene Ther 20:816-823.
Tremblay TP, Xiao X, Aartsma-Rus A et al (2013) Translating the Genomics Revolution: The Need for an International Gene Therapy Consortium for Monogenic Diseases. Mol Ther 21:266-268.
Takeshi Suda, Kenya Kamimura, Guisheng Zhang and Dexi Liu (2013) Hydrodynamic Pressure-based Nonviral Nucleic Acid Delivery, In Advanced Textbook on Gene Transfer, Gene Therapy and Genetic Pharmacology, Daniel Scherman (Editor), Imperial College Press, 2014, pp 255-264.